IPREFER uses farm-based field days to spread the word about pennycress and our research focused on optimizing off-season pennycress production and overcoming supply chain bottlenecks. Field days allow us to connect directly with ag producers and industry. In 2022, we will again host in-person field days with project partners CoverCress, Inc, Illinois State University and
2022 Field Days & Plot Tours
May 6 – CoverCress, Inc.
May 26 – Western Illinois University – WIU Field Day
- 10 am-12 noon (Central) The IPREFER WIU team and IPREFER Project Director Win Phippen will be hosting this Field Day at the WIU Research Farm, 285 Ember Rd Macomb, IL 61455 / 40.48942° N, 90.68858° W https://goo.gl/maps/S6vptrrrUeWo4puF9
June 23 – Ohio State University Northwest Field Day
Sept 20-22 Ohio State University – Farm Science Review Day
April 27 – CoverCress, Inc.
April 22 – Illinois State University – “ISU Field Days”
April 21 – CoverCress, Inc.
April 14 – CoverCress, Inc.
- 10 am- 12 noon (Central) The CoverCress team will be hosting this Field Day in URSA, IL. Meet at the Lewis Seed Farm,
503 W Maple Ave, Ursa, IL 62376 https://goo.gl/maps/u2QLkbwufivEMbCn8
April 11 – CoverCress, Inc.
March 18 – Missouri Soybean Association
- 8:30 am -1 pm (Central Time) Join members of the CoverCress, Inc. team in this event (lunch included) sponsored by the Missouri Soybean Association. Bay Farm
5601 S Rangeline Road Columbia, MO 65201 https://goo.gl/maps/TEk5ieozbNDq9mWLA
2021 Field Days & Plot Tours
June 11 – University of Minnesota Winter Annual Oilseeds – Winter Camelina & Pennycress
- 11:30am – 2:30pm Central Time (US and Canada). Join members of the IPREFER team at this free public event in Rosemount, MN. Register and learn more here. The University of Minnesota Forever Green Initiative and IPREFER Team invites manufacturers, food entrepreneurs, farmers, policy professionals, and the public to a Winter Annual Oilseeds Field Day event at the Rosemount Research and Outreach Center. Attendees will learn about the latest research and development updates on pennycress and winter camelina, two exciting new crops which have the potential to transform the food, fuel and feed industries in the upper Midwest.
May 20 – Western Illinois University 2021 Pennycress Field Day
- 10:00am – 12:00pm Central Time (US and Canada). Join members of the IPREFER team at this no registration required and free public event. This Field Day will introduce the new winter annual crop Field Pennycress to local producers. Researchers along with industry representatives will discuss this unique short-season crop. Also discussed will be results from IPFRER’s 2020 research efforts. All participants will have a chance to tour the Pennycress plots with plenty of time for pictures and individual questions. Location: Western Illinois University Agriculture Field Laboratory North of the Harry Mussatto Golf Course on Tower Road Macomb, IL. If you have any questions or would like to bring a large group, please contact Dr. Win Phippen for more details at firstname.lastname@example.org. Field Day Flyer and Brochure.
May 4 – Western Illinois University 2021 Pennycress Research Plot Tour
- 10:00am – 12:00pm Central Time (US and Canada). Join IPREFER Project Director Win Phippen for a no-registration required and free informal tour of the research and breeding plots at the Western Illinois University farm. The Field Day is set up as a guided tour through pennycress plots with plenty of time for pictures and individual questions. Participants will view the replicated variety plots, breeding line seed increases, and the EMS mutant lines for thick stems, early flowering, and high seed yield. Participants will also see the multi-state variety trails of the top ten breeding lines from our collaborators, GA seed treatment experiment, and the spring applied nitrogen experiment. Location: Western Illinois University Agriculture Field Laboratory North of the Harry Mussatto Golf Course on Tower Road Macomb, IL. For more information, view the Plot Tour flyer or watch this short video
April 21 – Cash Cover Crops for Northern Growers: A Virtual Pennycress Field Day
- 12:00-2:30 pm Central Time (US and Canada). Our University of Minnesota IPREFER colleagues are hosting an interactive meeting to learn about and discuss future opportunities for Pennycress. The discussions will walk attendees through the various steps of the Pennycress life cycle from planting through harvest. The meeting will end in a panel discussion with our experts to answer your questions and hear your comments. Register in advance for this meeting. After registering, participants will receive a confirmation email with information about joining the meeting. https://umn.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJ0lduGurj0tHtZs_K9ufHNHdVEJlB6aDSHH
April 16 – Illinois State University Cover Crop Field Day
- 4 pm – 6 pm Central Time (US and Canada) at the ISU Research Farm in Lexington, IL (25578 ISU Farm Lane, 61753). IPREFER collaborators have organized a no-cost field day for you to see cover crops in action (SEE FLYER). There will be cover crop field tours beginning at 4 pm followed by discussions and presentations. The focus will be on the potential successes of implementing cover crops. Our team will also discuss how to overcome struggles that some producers have encountered when starting a cover crops strategy on their lands. Learn more about how cover crops can:
- Increasing Farm Profit
- Generate carbon credits
- Promote ecosystem services, and more!